1.How have you performed on the Unit O and P tests? What evidence do you
have from your work in the unit that supports your test grade (good or
bad)? Be specific and include a minimum of three pieces of evidence.
I have performed pretty well on the Unit O and Unit P tests. The work you do reflects on the grade and supports it in a good way or bad way. For one thing, I made sure to keep up with the WSQ even if i didn't have the pressure on me to get it signed by a due date; I did it without needing that "push". Secondly, if the formative assessment quizzes were low scores, I would go back and review that concept or even watch the video again to get my memory triggered again on how to do it. And lastly, I would make sure that my practice test was done correctly so that I know how the test will be and I make sure I can do all the problems without getting stuck.
2. You are able to learn material in a variety of ways in Math Analysis. It generally follows this pattern:
→ Your initial source of information is generally the video lessons and
SSS packets followed by a processing and reflection activity via the WSQ
→ individual supplemental research online or in the textbook before class
→ reviewing and accessing supplementary resources provided by Mrs. Kirch on the blog
→ discussion with classmates about key concepts
→ practice of math concepts through PQs
→ formatively assessing your progress through concept quizzes
→ cumulatively reviewing material through PTs
→ Final Assessment via Unit Test.
Talk through each of the steps given in the following terms:
a.How seriously do you take this step for your learning? What evidence
do you have to support your claim? Make sure to make reference to all 8
steps.
b. How could you improve your focus and attention on this step to improve
your mastery of the material? What specific next steps would this
entail? Make sure to make reference to all 8 steps.
1. Your initial source of information is generally the video lessons and
SSS packets followed by a processing and reflection activity via the WSQ
a) I take this step the most seriously and, to me, it is the most important step. Understanding the concept and listening to Mrs. Kirch to make sure I catch when she emphasizes on a certain part of the concept. I make sure to highlight, take notes, and read over all of the SSS with the video to get the most out of it.
b) To improve my focus and attention on this step, I would make sure that I close every other tab open, close Pandora, Facebook, Youtube, and all of that so I have ALL of my focus on learning the concept. Also, outside distractions should be zoned out. Most importantly, put my cell phone on the side or put it on silent to ensure that I F.I.T.C.H. I should solely have ear phones in and stay in a quiet place to make sure I have my attention on the videos to ensure my mastery of the material.
2. individual supplemental research online or in the textbook before class
a) I take this step semi seriously. If there is a weird new term we are learning then I make sure to look it up and I use websites like purplemath, coolmath, or other websites. On the other hand, I do not use my textbook and I don't believe I need to. The videos go over everything I need to know and I take those more seriously.
b) To improve my focus and attention on this step, I can make it a priority before class to check out an online website to further my learning on the concept. Specifically, I can research videos on youtube of teachers explaining, or use google to google the general concept to help me and my learning. I should remember that it's important to never stop learning and learn as much as you can and don't stop to where the minumum is.
3. reviewing and accessing supplementary resources provided by Mrs. Kirch on the blog
a) This is a step that I think I should take more seriously. I rarely reference the supplementary resources unless told to. For instance, like the conic sections I did review those sources; however normally I don't. This also has to do with the above step and extending your learning boundaries.
b) To improve my attention on this step, I would make it a habit when watching the videos to also check out the supplementary resources, at least 2 of them along with the research online. This would helps improve my mastery of the material or even help me understand better if I am still confused after the video. I will make sure to do it on Unit Q and the units to come.
4. discussion with classmates about key concepts
a) I take this step seriously, however it does get repetitive. I am usually the leader of the WSQ chats and make sure that 1) we all know the answer but more importantly 2) that if someone in my group doesn't get it, we all help him/her understand. However, I do make sure to discuss with classmates.
b) To improve my focus and attention on this step, I like how Mrs. Kirch has switched up the questions and made them different than on the WSQ. This way, we can review specifically the questions that people struggled on or something that can be confusing. I can continue to lead the WSQ chats and make sure that every group member is engaged in the chat.
5. practice of math concepts through PQs
a) I take this step very seriously and see it necessary for understanding the material. I make sure to complete all PQs and check all the answers. Also, if time permits, I do all the extra problems in the SSS. However, PQ's are important for reviewing and making sure you can do the problems without the video there to guide you.
b) To improve my focus and attention on this step, I can make sure that I have it completely done. More specifically, I can refer to my classmates to make sure that we both have the correct steps and shoe step by step work. Another is doing it neatly and in an organized fashion in a notebook. The most important thing is checking with the answers to make sure I have it right. If not, going back to find my mistakes.
6. formatively assessing your progress through concept quizzes
a) I find this step important and almost crucial to ensuring mastery of the concept. Specifically, I make sure to take the quizzes on time and checking my score on it so I know how I am doing on that concept.
b) To improve my focus and attention on this step, I would review my mistakes. For example, if my quiz score was low and I did not pass, I would make sure to look at my work and see where my mistake was. This way, instead of rushing to retake it, I can see my mistake and not make it again.
7. cumulatively reviewing material through PTs
a) I find this step very important to my learning and reviewing the material. More specifically, I make sure that i complete the practice test first on my own and then checking the answers to make sure that I got them right. If not I go back to the problem, assess, see what I did wrong, and then fix it.
b) To improve my focus and attention on this step, I would make sure that I show all of my work. For example, I would write my work STEP-BY-STEP and even write small comments about what I did. This way if i get it wrong, I can see exactly where my mistake was. Also, if I work step by step, I can ensure that I don't make mistakes at all.
8. Final Assessment via Unit Test
a) I take this step very seriously. I make sure that I am fully ready. For example, I am thorough in the above steps that I also take seriously. My PT's ensure that I am ready for the test and make sure, especially, that I know how to do the review and I remember how to do it. Before the test, I make a mental checklist and also look at my real checklist (WSQ) to be sure I'm ready.
b) To improve my focus on this step, I would prepare myself by doing a little extra. I feel like I already take this step seriously and prepare ahead of time, but you can never too prepared. I would make sure that I attempt some of the extra practice problems to get a little extra practice (hence extra practice problems) so that I ensure my mastery of the material.
3. Reflect on your learning this year thus far by considering the following questions:
a. How confident do you generally feel on the day of a Unit Test? Give evidence and specifics to back up your answer.
b.How well do you feel you have learned the math material this year as
compared to your previous years in math? Give evidence to support your
claim.
c.How DEEPLY do you feel you have learned the math material this year as
compared to your previous years in math? Give evidence to support your
claim.
d.Do you normally feel like you understand the WHY behind the math and
not just the WHAT/HOW? Meaning, do you understand why things work, how
they are connected to each other, etc, and not just the procedures?
Explain your answer in detail and cite specific evidence from this
year.
e. How does your work ethic relate to your performance and success? What is the value of work ethic in real life?
a) I feel pretty confident on the day of a Unit Test. Again, I make sure I am prepared ahead of time. Specifically, with my mental checklist and also the real checklist (the WSQ).
b) I feel that I have learned math better this year compared to previous years. Although math is my favorite subject and I do well in math every year, I feel like this year my learning of math is improved. For instance, in my last year algebra II class, most of the class period would be a "warm up" while the last 20 minutes was actually learning the new material. I understood it but I felt that we always took the shortcut and you would never get a full explanation of why we take this shortcut.
c) Compared to my previous year of math, I feel like this year we have learned the material WAY more in DEPTH. For example, i have never had formative assessments and videos and supplementary resources and extra practice problems. We had some sort of PQ's and a PT worksheet and hardly any of this was checked to make sure we did it. There was never an answer key that explained the steps or a video that went through it. This year, I have these resources and it goes significantly more in depth instead of just "here's the worksheet, complete it." Now, we have "here's the PT's now complete it, show your work, check your answers, watch the videos" to ensure we understand.
d) YES, I feel very strongly that we now understand the WHY behind the material and not just the what/how. Like I mentioned before, my previous teacher would show us the shortcuts and the basic minimum to completing the problem. Now, we know the meaning to what we are doing, we even apply it to real world concepts, and most importantly, create our own problem through WPP's. This relates to Bloom's Taxonomy. This year, the learning takes a whole new road rather than the traditional learning classroom where "going in depth" is put aside. We go through all the steps using WPP, WPP grading, Student Videos, making flashcards for the terms, and watching videos to ensure our mastery of the concept. One of the most important things we do that explain the WHY is using derivation of the material and we see why we do what we do. We see where it comes from and why we use that method or why we are taking these steps.
e) I believe that one's work ethic reflects on their performance and success. For me, I work hard in math to understand and not only because it is one of my favorite subjects. It also relfects on the grade I have in the class. The value of work ethic in real life is taken into great consideration. In real life you don't have the "push" we get in school. Work ethic is valued greatly and the consequences are greater, also. However, if you will it you will find a way.

No comments:
Post a Comment